Latest News

ANNOUNCEMENTS

THE FOLLOWING IS A PRESS RELEASE
FROM THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 18, 2014
 

Nonprofit DARTS ‘Stunned’ by Metropolitan Council

Decision Ending 25-year Transit Relationship

West St. Paul, Minn. -- DARTS, a nonprofit serving seniors and their families in Dakota County, was notified that the Metropolitan Council will terminate DARTS’ Metro Mobility and Transit Link contracts effective November 9, 2014.  Since 1989, under major funding from the Metropolitan Council and other smaller funding sources, DARTS has provided transportation services for residents of Dakota County; this history traces back to the founding of Metro Mobility and Transit Link services in the Twin Cities.

“We’re stunned by this decision, which seems like a sudden, harsh step in light of our long track record and recent, successful MnDOT inspections,” says Greg Konat, DARTS’ president and CEO. Along with Konat, other DARTS’ staff and board members argued strenuously against this decision. Konat noted that DARTS had responded swiftly and decisively to address findings of an audit by the Metropolitan Council that he received on September 8. DARTS provided a corrective action plan ahead of the deadline and already completed approximately 80 percent of the requested changes. DARTS had committed to complete the remaining 20 percent of the changes by September 30. 

"It's my opinion, that given the way this all unfolded, this has been in the works for a long time and that the Met Council has a larger agenda here," suggests Konat. Konat stated that DARTS is committed to re-building its transportation division with its own community fleet and personalized ride service.

Moving ahead, Konat said DARTS’ main priority is to provide support for staff and clients during this transition. DARTS will work individually with everyone affected by this decision and offer personalized support. DARTS’ core values of Responsibility, Excellence, Collaboration and Service will continue to underscore its work, especially during times of change.

 

Fall Caregiver Wellness Program

A six-week program designed to help caregivers learn techniques for stress reduction and general well-being.

WHEN: Wednesdays (Oct. 1 - Nov. 5) 1-3pm

WHERE: Prince of Peace Lutheran Church - 13901 Fairview Drive, Burnsville

CLICK FOR MORE INFORMATON AND TO REGISTER by Sept. 24th

 

Get your FREE DARTS Eldercare Resource Guide for 2014


Dakota County Eldercare Resources has the most commonly requested services for older adults. This guide contains a wealth of information with names and numbers of services for seniors and people with health issues or who are caring for a loved one.

 

Call 651-455-1560 to receive your free copy through the mail or, better yet, simply provide your email address for a downloadable version.

 

State of Minnesota Proclamation - DARTS Day

Governor Mark Dayton proclaimed June 5th, 2014 as DARTS DAY in the State of Minnesota.  DARTS celebrates 40 years of helping seniors be more independent, supporting people who are caregivers of older adults, and being a community resource for aging excellence. More than 3,400 people use DARTS for home services and assistance. Our Transportation team serves 4,300 riders and provides more than 225,000 rides each year. And over 1,300 people of all ages volunteer in DARTS programs ranging from helping with yard work to visiting seniors to mentoring elementary school children in reading, math, and science.

 

Getting it Write

One of my goals following early retirement was to find meaningful volunteer work. With a corporate background in communications and writing, I wondered how I could use my skills to help others in the community. What kind of volunteering could I do, and where could I do it? Read more »